2.1 – Summit SS8: Here is the link to the self-evaluation for the Castle Project.
2.1 – Summit SS8: castle projects are due next Tuesday! If you want to work on the project at school on Monday, meet me at 12:30. Reflections are due next Thursday.
2.2 – Summit SS9: reflection piece: “What do you think is the most important or pressing issue surrounding First Nations people living in Canada? Explain what it is, how you think it came to be, and offer suggestions on how to fix it. How do you personally feel about this/these issue(s)?
2.4 – Summit SS10: reminder of Mr. Hill’s website: mrhill.ca
2.1 – Summit SS8:
Black Death materials:
(USE MICROSOFT EDGE OR INTERNET EXPLORER, NOT CHROME)
Link to interactive map: http://edsitement.neh.gov/sites/edsitement.neh.gov/files/Black_Death.swf
Link to medieval trade routes map: https://www.mydigitalchalkboard.org/portal/default/Resources/Viewer/ResourceViewer?action=2&resid=30767
Another map to use for question 1 of the worksheet:
Questions for homework. Predict the following:
- rules and regulations governing such matters as sanitation and the conduct of business?
- hospitals and medical knowledge?
- attitude of the working class toward the ruling class? The ruling class toward the working class?
- population in cities versus population in rural areas? (Though proximity may have led to greater mortality in cities, the period after the plague saw a movement of people from the country to the city.)
- labor supply? What happens to wages when there are less people to do work people want done?
- land usage and food supply? Before the plague there had been insufficient land to produce enough food for the population, leading to famine. What will happen to the supply of food now, with more than enough land to farm?
- food prices? What happens to the price of food when there is less demand?
- price of goods? What happens to the price of goods when there is less demand, but also fewer people to create the goods?
2.2 – Summit SS9: the map is due Tuesday.
2.4 – Summit SS10: your take home essay test on WWII is due next Thursday. I am available for proofreading Tuesday.
- Could war have been averted if Britain, France, and their allies had stood up to Hitler’s demands earlier than they did? Use evidence to support your answer.
- Did Canada play a larger global role in WWI or WWII? Compare and contrast Canada’s involvement in the two wars.
- Evaluate the following statement: conscription was necessary in Canada during WWII. Do you agree or disagree? Use evidence to support your answer.
2.1 – Summit SS8: reminder: please complete columns I, II, and IV of the chart, and finish your assessments on Joan of Arc. The second assessment is to be completed immediately when you have the chance. Then go over the Medieval Beliefs and Practices sheet and fill in column IV before completing the final assessment.
Next class, we will meet in the computer lab to learn about the Black Death through a mapping exercise.
Updated schedule until Mr. Hill takes over:
Thursday 8 – Black Death
Tuesday 13 – Project work period
Thursday 15 – Project work period
Tuesday 20 – PROJECT DUE (new due date!)
Thursday 22 – Mr. Hill takes over; project reflections due
2.2 – Summit SS9: the political map of Canada will be due Tuesday.
2.4 – Summit SS10: the WWII package is due Thursday. Please read the instructions on how to play Secret Hitler BEFORE coming to class. They are here: http://secrethitler.com/assets/Secret_Hitler_Rules.pdf
Here is also video link to the instructions to Secret Hitler: https://vimeo.com/179938217
2.1 – Summit SS8: next week, we will be talking about the Hundred Years’ War, Joan of Arc, and the Black Death next week, so there will NOT be any project time. Please meet outside of school when you can.
2.2 – Summit SS9: thanks for your mental maps. Finish the first 2 exercises for homework. Don’t move ahead!
2.4 – Summit SS10: we will finish the movie next class. Bring your work packages as we will probably finish the movie early and have time to work on them.
2.1 – Summit SS8: thanks for your short presentations. Pictures of your birds are below. Next class: bring your project items as you will be having a work period.
2.2 – Summit SS9: thanks for your passionate speeches. We start a new unit on the geography of Canada next class.
2.4 – Summit SS10: I hope the assembly was rewarding for you. I sure learned a lot! We will continue the movie next class.
2.1 – Summit SS8: next class, we will talk about life in the towns of medieval times. No homework!
2.2 – Summit SS9: Here is the website for the Child Labour Assignment: http://spartacus-educational.com/Textiles.htm
2.4 – Summit SS10: complete the WWII package by Thursday, February 8.